When you crave a hearty sandwich, hot pastrami and Swiss might be the first type that comes to mind. With all the zesty flavors made famous in delicatessens across the country, our Hot Pastrami Bake takes a classic individual meal and turns it into a feast for a gathering. And since today is National Hot Pastrami Day, we think it’s cause for an impromptu celebration!
Starting with our 9x13” nonstick pan, then layering ingredients in the same way you might create a lasagna, the delicious hot pastrami sandwich becomes a memorable meal for many. But be forewarned – you just might have to make two pans full for every occasion!
Gather your tools:
Gather your ingredients:
1 ½ pounds thin sliced pastrami
1 pound sauerkraut, drained well
2/3 cup Thousand Island dressing
3-4 Tablespoons sweet onion, chopped fine
1 ½ cups grated Swiss cheese
6-8 slices dark rye bread
4 Tablespoons butter, melted
Extra Thousand Island dressing for serving
Get ready to bake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Give baking pan a light coating of melted butter or vegetable oil spray.
- Layer pastrami on bottom of pan.
- In mixing bowl, combine sauerkraut, Thousand Island dressing, and sweet onion (if desired). Spread mixture evenly over pastrami layer.
- Cover with grated Swiss cheese.
- Using medium and small round cutters, cut circles in slices of rye bread. Reserve crusts to make breadcrumbs later.
- Arrange large circles on top of layers in the baking pan. Fill in gaps with smaller circles. Baste each bread circle with melted butter.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30-40 minutes until bread is crispy and filling is bubbling and golden brown.
- Cut into individual portions and serve with extra Thousand Island dressing.
Baker’s Bits: This casserole is great for gatherings and can be prepared a day ahead of baking. If making in advance, top with buttered bread and crumbs just before baking. You can also make this dish with corned beef or corned turkey for another classic deli taste. Don’t forget plenty of crunchy dill or half-sour pickles on the side!