Classic quiche is one of those time-honored recipes that continues to inspire bakers to be creative.
Today we explore Mediterranean flavors with zucchini rosettes, fresh tomatoes, and herbs. Baked in our nonstick muffin tin, these cheesy delicious mini quiches are perfect to keep on hand for a quick breakfast, a hearty snack, or a light entrée to pair with a lively vinaigrette salad.
Gather Your Tools:
Measuring Cups and Spoons
Nonstick Muffin Pan
Gather Your Ingredients:
Dough for two-crust pie, or (1 box refrigerated pie pastry)
Olive oil for spritzing
3 large eggs
¾ cup half and half
1 Tablespoon dried Mediterranean seasoning blend
1 zucchini, cut lengthwise using vegetable peeler
6 Campari tomatoes, coarsely chopped
¼ cup sweet onion, minced
¾ cup mixed grated cheese – (try a combination of Feta, goat, and Kefalotyri, or use Grana Padana and Parmesan Reggiano)
Fresh herbs for garnish
Get Ready to Bake:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Prepare your pie crust dough or use your favorite ready-to-use variety. Using the largest circle cutter, cut rounds in the rolled dough.
- In mixing bowl, combine eggs, half and half, and seasoning blend.
- Spritz openings in your muffin pan with olive oil. Place each pastry round in muffin tin openings and press against bottom and sides.
- To make zucchini rosettes, use vegetable peeler along the length of the zucchini. Roll each vegetable slice around your finger and set aside.
- Begin by layering tomatoes and onions atop pastry. Add zucchini rosettes along one side.
- Layer with cheeses.
- Fill each muffin cup with egg mixture, taking care not to overflow. Mixture will rise as it bakes.
- Place filled pan in preheated oven on middle rack. Bake for 30-40 minutes until golden and bubbly.
- Cool pan on rack until cool enough to handle.
- Remove mini quiches and serve.
Baker’s Bits: These mini quiches make the perfect base for cooked, chopped meats. Store refrigerated in zippered storage bag or airtight container. To reheat, place quiches in aluminum foil and warm in preheated toaster oven on 350 degrees for approximately 10-15 minutes.