Green Bean Portobello Bundles
For years, our family tables have been graced with steaming dishes of green beans, mushroom soup, and crispy onions baked into a casserole. While the go-to holiday casserole may bring back fond memories of a simpler time, we vote for a fresh take on classic vegetable flavors.
Gather Your Tools:
Gather Your Ingredients:
- 2 pounds whole green beans, trimmed
- ½-1 pound portobello mushroom caps, sliced lengthwise into ½” widths
- 1 pound thinly sliced prosciutto or fine quality ham
- ½ cup mascarpone, creamy goat cheese, or cream cheese
- Olive oil
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
Get Ready to Bake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray baking pans lightly with olive oil.
- Wash green beans and divide into groups of 5 beans.
- Using a damp cloth, quickly rinse or wipe any debris from sliced mushroom, but do not soak in water. Spray each mushroom slice with olive oil and season well with salt and pepper.
- On clean work surface, pair one or two mushroom slices with each bundle of green beans.
- Place approximately 1 Tablespoon of creamy cheese on top of each vegetable bundle. During baking, the cheese will melt through to flavor the vegetables.
- Wrap each bundle with prosciutto or ham slices. The meat will hold bundles together during the baking process.
- Arrange bundles on baking pans and spray lightly with olive oil.
- Bake for approximately 25-35 minutes until vegetables have reached desired tenderness, meat is crisp and golden, and cheese has melted.
Baker’s Bits: If you love garlic, substitute garlic and herb creamed cheese for the plain variety. Depending on what your main course might be, you can also lightly marinate the raw vegetables in vinaigrette before finishing the wrapping process.
These Green Bean Portobello Bundles also make the perfect cocktail party appetizer, served warm or at room temperature. This recipe also works great with asparagus.